Selected Publications and Current Work
For a copy of an older paper, I have reprints of most of them, so send me an email for a copy.
"Acculturation drives the evolution of intergroup conflict" (2019) Proceedings of the National Accociation of Science ,
116 (28) 14089-14097.
"Towards a mechanistic foundation for evolutionary theory" (2017), eLife 6:e23804.
"Group-level events are catalysts in the evolution of cooperation" (2016) Journal of Theroetical Biology ,
"Continuous Time Models of Group Selection and the Dynamical Insufficiency of Kin Selection Models"
(2014) Journal of Theoretical Biology, 349, 22-31.
"A simple model of group selection that cannot be analyzed with inclusive fitness" (2014)
Journal of Theoretical Biology, 360, 279-289.
"Numerical solutions and animations of group selection dynamics" (2012) (with Aaron Nielsen), Evolutionary Ecology Research,
"Towards a general theory of group selection" (2013) (with Michael Doebeli and Jeff Fletcher) Evolution 67: 1561-1572.
"Hamilton's rule in multi-level selection" (2012) (with Michael Doebeli and Jeff Fletcher),
Journal of Theoretical Biology, 299, 55-63.
"Discrete evolutionary birth-death processes and their large-population limits (2012) (with Tolya Puhalskii),
Stochastic models, 28:3.
"A dynamical model of two-level selection"
(2010) Evolutionary Ecology Research, 12, 555-588.
"A stochastic model of evolutionary dynamics with deterministic large population asymptotics"
(2008) Journal of Theoretical Biology Vol. 254, No. 4, pp 719-730.
- "A Fluid Model of VoIP over Wireless Broadband Networks", (2007),
Conference proceedings of the Forty-Fourth Annual Allerton Conference
on Communication, Control, and Computing, (with P.J. Fleming)
- "Optimal Control of an Inventory with Simultaneous Obsolescence", (2007),
Interfaces (with Markus Emsermann)
- "Adaptive Simulation Using Perfect Control Variates", (2004),
Journal of Applied Probability, Vol. 41 No. 3. (with Shane Henderson)
- "Improving Simulation Efficiency with Quasi Control Variates",
(2002), stochastic Models, Vol 18, 425-448. (with Markus Emsermann)
Heavy Traffic Approximations for a System of Infinite Servers with Load
Balancing , (1999) Probability in the Engineering
and Informational Sciences, Vol. 13, 251-273.
(with P.J. Fleming)
- Convergence of a Stochastic Rootfinding Procedure'' (1998),
UCD/CCM Report #127
- "Markov Processes" (1996), in the International
Encyclopedia of Business and Management, edited by Malcolm Warner,
Thomson Business Press
- "An Interpolation Approximation for Queueing Systems with
Poisson Input" (1988), Operations Research, (with M.I. Reiman)
- "Light Traffic Limits of Sojourn Time Distributions in
Markovian Queueing Networks" (1988), Stochastic Models, (with M.I.
- "Open Queueing Systems in Light Traffic" (1989),
Mathematics of Operations Research, (with M.I. Reiman)
- "A New Estimator for Sensitivity Measures for Simulations Based
on Light Traffic Theory" (1989), ORSA Journal on Computing
- "Interpolation Approximations of Sojourn Time Distributions" (1990),
Operations Research, (with P.J. Fleming)
- "A Network of Priority Queues in Heavy Traffic: One Bottleneck
Station" (1990), Queueing Systems, (with M.I. Reiman)
- "Simterpolation: A Simulation Based Interpolation Approximation"
(1992), Operations Research, (with M.I. Reiman and J.S. Willie)
- "Calculating Light Traffic Limits for Sojourn Times in Open
Markovian Queueing Systems" (1993), Stochastic Models
- "Efficient Monte-Carlo Simulation of a Product Form Model for a
Cellular System with Dynamic Resourse Sharing" (1995), ACM Transactions
on Modeling and Computer Simulation, (with P.J. Fleming and D.
- "Heavy Traffic Limit for a Mobile Phone System Loss Model" (1995),
Proceedings of the Nashville ACM Telecommunications Conference,
(with P.J. Fleming and A. Stolyar)
- "On the Other-Cell Interference in Cellular CDMA" (1997), UCD/CCM
Report No. 116,
(with P.J. Fleming and A. Stolyar)
- "Estimating Functions Evaluated by Simulation: a Bayesian/Analytic
Approach (1998), The Annals of Applied Probability,
(with J.R. Koehler and A.A. Puhalskii)
- "Priority Queues with Feedback"(1984), Journal of the ACM, Vol 31, No. 1.